Tatmadaw Naval Vessels Repatriate 1,476 Myanmar Citizens, Warmly Welcomed Home



THE government deeply values, aids, and protects its citizens abroad whenever they face hardships, under any circumstances. Fur­thermore, through Myan­mar embassies and consu­lates-general overseas, the relevant authorities consist­ently prioritize coordinating with the host governments to provide necessary rescue and repatriation assistance to Myanmar citizens expe­riencing difficulties abroad for various reasons.

 

Under the guidance of the Head of State, officials from the Tatmadaw and relevant ministries coor­dinated to repatriate 1,476 Myanmar citizens who had completed sentences for un­lawful residency and other immigration offenses in Ma­laysia, were detained in im­migration depots, and faced difficulties returning home. The Myanmar Navy vessels UMS Mottama, sea-going hospital ship UMS Thanl­win, and UMS Sinphyush­in departed Yangon on 24 September to retrieve them. The naval vessels arrived at Lumut Port in Malaysia on the morning of 28 Sep­tember.

 

After systematically receiv­ing the detained Myanmar citizens from Malaysian au­thorities, the ships departed on the evening of 29 Sep­tember. They docked at No 3 Jetty (Thilawa) in Yangon at around 7:35 am yesterday, completing a smooth and successful repatriation to the motherland.

 

During the voyage, ves­sel personnel warmly wel­comed the citizens, provid­ed orderly accommodation, delivered necessary health­care, and prepared daily meals. The servicemen on board and ministry officials also organized recreation­al activities —including games, movie screenings, and group physical fitness exercises — while supply­ing clothing and essential personal care items.

 

Moreover, on the morn­ing of 1 October, as the vessels crossed into Myan­mar territorial waters, the returning citizens—who had been away from their homeland for an extended period—applauded and celebrated with joy upon receiving a warm welcome message from the Head of State, greeting them as siblings and family. They expressed heartfelt grati­tude for the Head of State’s goodwill and compassion in arranging their return, as well as for the dedicated assistance rendered by all involved officials.

 

When naval vessels arrived at No 3 Thilawa Jetty in Yangon, officials from relevant ministries, members of the Regional Government, and family members extended a warm and joyous welcome. The returnees were treated to lunch—including chicken rice, snacks, and refresh­ments—and boarded ar­ranged vehicles heading to pre-designated gather­ing centres for temporary rest. Relevant authorities conducted verification and screening before systemat­ically transferring them to representatives of Region/ State governments, while officials from the Ministry of Immigration and Population issued Unique Identification (UID) cards by region and state. Necessary arrange­ments are continuing to fa­cilitate their swift reunion with relatives and family members, ensuring their safe return to their respec­tive hometowns.

 

The government maintains a strong focus on rescuing and repatriat­ing citizens experiencing hardships abroad. In 2026, from January to September, 1,905 stranded Myanmar cit­izens were repatriated from Cambodia via military and chartered flights; on 23 July 2026, 26 Myanmar fisher­men detained in Port Blair for illegally entering Indian waters were brought back aboard Myanmar Airways International (MAI); and on 23 February 2021, 1,086 cit­izens stranded in Malaysia after serving sentences for immigration violations were returned aboard Tatmadaw naval vessels. Additionally, 8,041 citizens were repatri­ated by air between Janu­ary and the end of August 2026. The current mission successfully brought home the remaining 1,476 citizens from Malaysia aboard My­anmar Navy vessels on hu­manitarian grounds follow­ing bilateral governmental coordination.

 

Driven by the parental benevolence of the Head of State, the steadfast efforts of the Tatmadaw, and the goodwill and cooperation of departmental agencies, the journey home has been accomplished for overseas Myanmar citizens who had endured hardship far from their motherland. As they prepare to reunite with their families, returnees ex­pressed profound relief and joy, shed tears of emotion, and shared their happiness.

 

Currently, the govern­ment is actively driving so­cioeconomic development initiatives to foster compre­hensive national progress and ensure that all citizens can live and work safely. It is emphasized that by recog­nizing the government’s sin­cere goodwill and engaging diligently in agriculture, live­stock breeding, and micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) do­mestically, citizens can en­hance national productivity while securing dignified and safe livelihoods.

 

Consequently, Myan­mar citizens intending to work abroad are urged not to fall prey to the allure­ments and persuasion of human trafficking brokers, to refrain from leaving the country illegally through border areas, and to exer­cise caution against peer pressure to prevent falling victim to human traffick­ing. Citizens abroad who encounter difficulties are advised to contact Myan­mar embassies and con­sulates-general; arrange­ments will be coordinated with the respective host gov­ernments to ensure their safe and peaceful return to the motherland.

 

The following are the joyous expressions and sentiments shared by the returnees from Malaysia and the mission officials upon their smooth return to Myanmar:

 

Interview 1

 

A call came from the Malaysian embassy saying my husband was on board the ship. On 9 January, that was the first time I heard his voice again. After that, he told a young navy officer, and that officer contacted me to say, “We are bringing him home.” Coming to wel­come him back, I don’t even know how to describe what I felt. But I really kept looking over and over at the num­ber from the phone where I heard his voice. I also want to tell him words of encouragement. He took the risk to go work over there because of our little daugh­ter’s health. Now that he is returning, he knows nothing about how our daughter was hospitalized while he was away. I struggled all alone with our two children. In my heart, I just want to give my husband words of comfort and strength. I am always praying and wishing well for the people who rescued them like this. To tell the truth, since we had been out of touch for so long and had no contacts, I even thought I might never see him again. Whenever the kids went to bed, they would ask, “When is Daddy coming home?” That was the hardest ques­tion for me to answer. Now, I can finally answer it. Since he is back, mother and chil­dren, father and children are reunited. That is why I am grateful to all the re­sponsible authorities and leaders who brought them home. I thank everyone —regardless of rank, high or low—who helped bring them back so our families could reunite happily like this. The fact that I am cry­ing right now—these are tears of joy. Just as I am overjoyed to see my hus­band again, may other fam­ilies experience this joy too. I sincerely thank everyone, wish them well, and hope all the families are as happy as we are.

 

Interview 2

 

During the time I spent in prison, no one ever came to check on me. Not a single person turned their head to look. My siblings didn’t, and not one of my friends came either. When it came to food, it was just plain boiled meals. Everything was watery; there was not a single drop of oil. I was held in there for seven whole months, and nobody came to see me. When no one showed up, I was going through immense pain, thinking, “I guess we’ll never get to go home. Will we have to stay here forever? Will our lives end right here?” Right at that moment, when they called out my name, my tears just poured down. It had been so long since I tasted My­anmar food—almost an en­tire year. Comparing being inside prison to being here, eating Myanmar meals again made me feel over­whelmed with joy. When I got off the vehicle and saw those big ships coming over, I realized, “This isn’t a dream; it’s real.” In that moment, I felt like the hap­piest person in the whole world.

 

Interview 3

 

I am overjoyed, beyond words in my heart. We have longed to return to Myan­mar for such a long time. When we first arrived here, we came to earn money to make a living. But we ran into hardships, and as our living situation became suffocating and desperate, we missed our beloved golden land of Myanmar so much and desperately wanted to go back. Just seeing the Myanmar na­tional flag, I couldn’t even put into words how happy I felt — it brought such deep warmth and peace to my heart. I pray from the bot­tom of my heart that the Head of State and all the people of Myanmar who came to welcome and bring us back are blessed with health of mind and peace of body. — 100/ST





No comments

Powered by Blogger.